Saturday, December 3, 2016

Welcome to Radical Storytime

My name is Stefanie and I’m an aspiring youth services librarian (with a heart for revolution, but we’ll get to that). After a great deal of thinking and mulling and such, I recently decided to embark on a not-so-drastic change in career path. My current position as an Early Literacy Facilitator for three- and four-year-olds at a library in southeastern Wisconsin helped to nudge me in the right direction and develop a somewhat specific understanding of the most fitting professional environment for me. I’m still figuring that out–but I have a much better idea after months of working at a library I love.
I love books and I love working with kids, so naturally, teaching seemed like the perfect career choice for me. Just five months ago, I was still en route to becoming a middle or high school English teacher, and for some reason, that path seemed like my only option. I was incredibly unhappy, became thoroughly disillusioned with the current state of the public education system, and most importantly–I felt trapped. I thought that since I had been working toward this career for years of my life, that I was somehow bound to that choice. I soon realized that if I kept working toward a career that I knew wasn’t for me–I would be doing my students, and myself, and abhorrent disservice. I admire education activists and radical teachers who are working day and night to create more equitable classrooms and schools for all students. I knew deep down, however, that I didn’t have that same will to fight. I decided to make a change, and in the process, I fell completely in love with library work.
While I’m a bit disheartened that it took me so long to figure out where I want to be professionally, my coursework and experience working with middle and high school students has given me a unique perspective as I work toward establishing myself in the library and information science community. Both care and critical thinking have always been at the crux of my teaching philosophy, and my work is always executed with empathy in mind and a critical lens. I worship bell hooks (and if you think I’m joking–just look at my desktop photo) and will reference her work constantly in my writing. Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom is one of my favorite books about feminist education, but can easily be applied to other realms–including library programming. hooks stresses that “teaching in a manner that respects and cares for the souls of our students is essential if we are to provide the necessary conditions where learning can most deeply and intimately begin.” I meditate on this quote often and it’s something that has stuck with me for years. I consider this approach as I work with preschoolers and will keep it at the forefront of my mind in any position I hold in the future.
One reason I’m drawn to literature is its ability to invoke empathy in its readers. Psychologist Keith Oatley, in Tough Talk, Tough Texts: Teaching English to Change the World by Cindy O’Donnell Allen, says it best: “In literature we feel the pain of the downtrodden, the anguish of defeat, or the joy of victory–but in a safe space. In this space, we can, as it were, practice empathy. We can refine our human capacities of emotional understanding.” He goes on to say that “we can start to extend ourselves into situations we have never experienced, feel for people very different from ourselves, and begin to understand such people in ways we never thought possible.” Storytelling in literature is a force for social change–for building a more compassionate and humane population. My desire is to advocate for unheard voices and expose young people to stories that will grow their hearts and minds.
The name of my blog is Radical Storytime because I one day hope to work in an environment that allows me to utilize my passion for social justice in my library programming. My dream is to implement a “radical storytime” that amplifies diverse voices and social justice issues in a way that is accessible and exciting for young children. I strongly believe we must allow our children spaces to cultivate empathy and develop a critical lens in order for future generations to live in a world that encourages a culture of community and solidarity (one that our society, as a whole, is currently lacking).
I’m completely new to the field, so my writing will reflect my utter lack of knowledge and experience, but also (hopefully) my heart for learning and growth as I embark on this new path. I have a lot of work (and reading!) to do, but I am thoroughly embracing the challenge, and am looking forward to every twist and turn that awaits me.
Originally published January 10th, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment